Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Demode Court Ensembles Project

I haven't forgotten I signed on for the 2014 Court Ensembles project.  I have been thinking and planning and all is  now coming together.  I have all my materials, trims and accessories, have pawed through patterns and determined what to use, or not.  Now I have a week off to work on it and get a great start with plenty of time to finish up before I go.  Here is the link to the project if you are interested in finding out more.http://demodecouture.com/wordpress/wp-contents/uploads/2013/08/icon-300x300.jpg


So my gown, you know how sometimes when you first see an historical gown and LAAAAA!  Music plays and you know you have to make it, well that is what happened when I saw this gown from Christie's web site.  It was originally made for (possibly), Sarah Otway-Cave, 3rd Baroness of Braye who may have worn it for mourning when her husband died in 1815.
Looking at the pictures posted I like most aspects of the gown, but I think the Baroness may have been a bit more showy of a gal then myself.  I may reduce the number of places the trim is applied as the bodice was simply loaded front and back and trim in 3 places on the sleeve?  Perhaps I may reduce it somewhat.  
I also can't quite tell if there is sequins or beads at the center of the appliqued silver braid flowers, but it appears there might be.  I think it would be fun to put pearl beads in the center.  So for the gown I have black velvet, gold Venetian lace for the outer trim and silver braid for the couching.  You can tell when you blow up the photos that the gown separates in the front at the middle, which makes sense as in another view you see that the trim is to the right and left of center, although the under skirt did not survive with the gown.  I have some pearl white satin that I will make into a petticoat and use with this, when you walk you will get peeps of pearl white, therefore, my decision to put pearls at the center of the flowers to tie the two together. 

I all ready have some sweet embroidered gold slippers to wear and will be trying my hand at a Cameo Tiara as well.  

See you at the Gala!



No comments:

Post a Comment